Background: The Agreement between MPP and Roche
On August 5 2013, The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) announced an agreement with Swiss pharmaceutical company Roche to increase access to valganciclovir, an important easy-to-take oral medicine to treat cytomegalovirus (CMV). CMV is a viral infection that can cause blindness in people living with HIV. The MPP/Roche agreement has a two-phased approach to increase access to valganciclovir:
- First, a price reduction that will significantly improve access to Roche’s valganciclovir for people living with HIV in 138 developing countries by making it up to 90% cheaper than current prices.
- Second, the MPP and Roche will enter into licensing and technology transfer negotiations to encourage the availability of quality generic versions of valganciclovir.
The full text of the agreement is available here [pdf].
The price of valganciclovir under the agreement
The price negotiated by the MPP for valganciclovir with Roche is 250 CHF per pack (approx. 203 EUR/275 USD) plus VAT on an ex-Works Roche, Basel basis. Costs such as freight and insurance are not included. The minimum order size is 40 packs of valganciclovir; each pack contains 60 tablets of valganciclovir 450mg.
How to benefit from this price
Contact the Medicines Patent Pool
If an entity wishes to benefit from the discounted price, it should sign an Acknowledgement Letter (available below). Through this letter the entity states that it is an eligible “Organisation” as defined in the agreement, acknowledges receipt of a copy of the Agreement, and agrees to be bound by the terms applicable to such an Organisation. The relevant obligations relate primarily to:
- The geographical scope for the use of Roche’s valganciclovir (138 countries, See Annex 1) and,
- That such use should be to treat and/or prevent CMV infection in relation to HIV therapy.
To receive a copy of the Acknowledgement Letter, click on one of the following files:
- Acknowledgement Letter, PDF Form
- Acknowledgement Letter, RTF Format to allow for organisational letterhead
- Acknowledgement Letter with courtesy Spanish translation
Note: Only responses in English will be accepted
Contact Mr Chan Park the MPP’s General Counsel (gro.looptnetapsenicidemnull@krapc), if the above files do not work.
Once the Acknowledgement Letter has been signed and sent to MPP, the organisation should contact Roche directly to order valganciclovir, via the information below:
F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Basel
Building 237/2. 17
CH 4303 Switzerland
Phone: +41 61 688 88 46
The organisation shall place orders directly with Roche and copy Mr Sandeep Juneja (gro.looptnetapsenicidemnull@ajenujs) Business Development Director of the MPP.
Eligibility to benefit from this agreement, per the agreement between the MPP and Roche [pdf], is limited to not-for-profit HIV treatment organisations, including:
- Those financed by national governments
- The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
- The United States Presidents Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
- Médecins Sans Frontières
- Any similar organisation identified by MPP and accepted by Roche
Annex 1 – List of countries included in this agreement