The Medicines Patent Pool and Pool staff periodically publish technical papers related to its core work on access to HIV medicines, HIV medicines prices, and patenting of HIV medicines around the world. The Pool also publishes news articles and editorials.
Background briefing materials on how the Pool works to lower the prices of antiretrovirals, and on its internal operations, are also available. A selection of Pool publications can be found below.
- The Medicines Patent Pool Annual Report 2012: access the 2012 annual report here [pdf]
- The Medicines Patent Pool Annual Report 2010-2011: the MPP’s first annual report [pdf] from its first 18 months of operations.
Background and briefing materials on the MPP
- Millions are waiting for life-saving HIV treatment: How can we deliver?: A brochure on the Medicines Patent Pool in: English • French • Spanish [pdf]
- Addressing Innovation and Access Through Voluntary Licensing: The Medicines Patent Pool Introductory Presentation [pdf]
- The ARV Priority List for the Medicines Patent Pool: Working Paper November 2012 [pdf]
- Challenges for the Uptake of Fixed-Dose Combinations: An Analysis of Intellectual Property Issues: Working Paper July 2012 [pdf]
- An Analysis of Antiretroviral Patenting Trends in 75 Low- and Middle-Income Countries: Presentation Prepared for the International AIDS Conference July 2012 [pdf]
- Voluntary Licensing: An Analysis of Current Practices and Key Provisions in Antiretroviral Voluntary Licences: Presentation Prepared for the International AIDS Conference July 2012 [pdf]
- The WHO Prequalification Programme and the Medicines Patent Pool: A Primer [pdf]
- Updated List of Missing Drug Formulations for HIV Treatment: a document [pdf] submitted to the 18th WHO Expert Committee on the Selection and Use of Essential Medicines, 18 February 2011
- Innovation in Antiretrovirals to Meet Developing Country Needs: Meeting report: Centre on Global Health Security [pdf]. Prepared by Chatham House, the Medicines Patent Pool and UNITAID, 9 July 2011.
- The Medicines Patent Pool comments to the US Patent and Trademark Office: Incentivizing Humanitarian Technologies and Licensing Through the Intellectual Property System [pdf]
News Articles & Commentary
- 23 January 2012, Africa Health:
The Medicines Patent Pool: improving access to ARVs and stimulating innovation for new medicines [pdf]
- June 2011, WIPO Magazine:
Medicines Patent Pool: Facilitating Access to HIV Treatment
- 27 March 2011, The Journal of the International AIDS Society:
Driving a decade of change: HIV/AIDS, patents and access to medicines for all
- September 2010, Bulletin of Medicus Mundi Switzerland:
The Medicines Patent Pool: An Innovative Approach to Achieving Access to Medicines For All, by Ellen ‘t Hoen and Suerie Moon
- 2010, The Open AIDS Journal:
The UNITAID Patent Pool Initiative: Bringing Patents Together for the Common Good, by Jorge Bermudez and Ellen ‘t Hoen [pdf]
Governance documents from the MPP
- The Medicines Patent Pool Transparency Policy [pdf]
- MPPF Statutes as of 1st June 2010 [pdf]
- MPPF By-Laws as of 8 December 2011 [pdf]
- Memorandum of Understanding with UNITAID [pdf]